Hennepin County

Issues related to carrying a weapon in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and N/S Dakota.

Hennepin County

Postby ADulay » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:01 am

All,

As a new, part time resident of Hennepin county in the summer I'll be submitting my carry paperwork to the "local" sheriff's office in August.

Are there any alternate ways to do this or is the sheriff's office the only location?

I've completed the requisite training and have the paperwork, just need to get to the office and submit it.

Anything else needed?

I'm currently a Florida and Utah permit holder and it just bothers me that I'll be wandering around Minneapolis unarmed until this is done.

AD
Certified Glock Armorer
Life Member NRA - Life Member AMA - Life Member ABATE
Life Member Viet-Nam Helicopter Pilots Assn
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor
IDPA - USPSA - ICORE
ADulay

Re: Hennepin County

Postby macphisto » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:36 am

Are you a MN resident, or are you applying as a non-resident? Non-residents can apply at any county sheriff's office in the state. Dakota County would be a good choice as they charge $75 and, I believe, are known for pretty quick turnaround times.

Hennepin County does have a satellite office in Brooklyn Park so you don't have to visit the belly of the beast. They also accept applications two days a month at Richfield PD (next being July 5th) and one day a month in Spring Park.

Visit this link and click Hours and locations for permit to carry applications for more info: https://www.hennepinsheriff.org/permits ... t-to-carry
macphisto

Postby ADulay » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:02 pm

macphisto,

Thanks for the information. As I continued to read the statutes I saw where, as a non-resident, that I could go to any sheriff's office that issued the permits. It was good to get confirmation on this.

I'll track down the Dakota county sheriff's office and see how it fits my upcoming schedule.

AD
Certified Glock Armorer
NRA Certified Instructor
IDPA - USPSA - ICORE
ADulay

Postby Justaguy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:07 pm

Who was your instructor?
What Would The Navy Seals That Killed Binladen Do
(WWTNSTKBD)
Justaguy

Postby ex-LT » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 am

macphisto wrote:Are you a MN resident, or are you applying as a non-resident? Non-residents can apply at any county sheriff's office in the state. Dakota County would be a good choice as they charge $75 and, I believe, are known for pretty quick turnaround times.

Mac is correct on the price. However, unless things have changed since I renewed my permit in 2016, turnaround times are still pushing the 30 day limit.
A better option is Washington county. Like Dakota county, their permit fee is $75, but based on reports I have heard, their turnaround times are in the 7 - 10 day range, as opposed to 25+ days.
A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both -- Dwight Eisenhower
ex-LT

Postby ADulay » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:58 am

Justaguy wrote:Who was your instructor?

Justaguy,

I did an online course from a place called "Minnesota Gun Class". Pretty reasonable operation. I did call and talk to one of the instructors to confirm the way the online operation works and how to complete the training course.

It consists of the usual amount of ground school and an exam at the finish to get the "ground school" portion of the training completed.

I'll attend the range portion of a class in early August when I get back up there and will then have the full "Proof of Training" certificate to apply for the MN permit.

One would think that with the myriad of completed training courses a person can go through that at least ONE of them would count, but I don't make the rules so I'll play along and check off all the boxes as required.

AD
Certified Glock Armorer
NRA Certified Instructor
IDPA - USPSA - ICORE
ADulay

Postby ex-LT » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:27 pm

ADulay wrote:

Justaguy,

I did an online course from a place called "Minnesota Gun Class". Pretty reasonable operation. I did call and talk to one of the instructors to confirm the way the online operation works and how to complete the training course.

It consists of the usual amount of ground school and an exam at the finish to get the "ground school" portion of the training completed.

I'll attend the range portion of a class in early August when I get back up there and will then have the full "Proof of Training" certificate to apply for the MN permit.

One would think that with the myriad of completed training courses a person can go through that at least ONE of them would count, but I don't make the rules so I'll play along and check off all the boxes as required.

AD

Don't pay any attention to justa.

The WWYI question is a long-running "joke" from days that precede this forum. The person who originally coined the question has since passed, but it was typically used to poke fun at permit holders who came onto that forum asking questions that are typically / should be covered in the class, thus implying that the class was substandard (translation: it wasn't HIS class).

It's only a matter of time before justa comes on here and thanks someone for logging in today.
A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both -- Dwight Eisenhower
ex-LT

Postby Justaguy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:32 pm

ex-LT wrote:
ADulay wrote:

Justaguy,

AD

The WWYI question is a long-running "joke" from days that precede this forum. The person who originally coined the question has since passed, but it was typically used to poke fun at permit holders who came onto that forum asking questions that are typically / should be covered in the class, thus implying that the class was substandard (translation: it wasn't HIS class).

It's only a matter of time before justa comes on here and thanks someone for logging in today.

No one should listen to these clowns.
(WWTNSTKBD)
Justaguy

Postby Justaguy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:39 pm

ADulay wrote:

Justaguy,

AD

I’m all about streamlining all the bullshit for permits. I like the Interwebs concept.
(WWTNSTKBD)
Justaguy

Postby Rip Van Winkle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:19 am

That's why we love you. :lol:
The one of the 29 of the 8,000!
48 down, Still need a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Rip Van Winkle

Postby ADulay » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:26 pm

One of the hazards of coming into a forum as a new member is you don't know who the players are.

Me? I just came in for information and I got enough to keep me headed in the right direction to wind up with a non-resident MN permit within a civil timeline. This is good.

As for who to trust, who to watch, who to avoid? Not a problem. Luckily I survived much worse than being a new guy in still another gun forum.

I'll keep this place in my reading list and continue to check in. I'll let you know how the rest of this MN permit sage goes later in August when the pen hit the paper in the local Sheriff's office.

Got the Wednesday night match to think about now.

Thanks.

AD
Certified Glock Armorer
NRA Certified Instructor
IDPA - USPSA - ICORE
ADulay

Postby ejsg19 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:21 am

ex-LT wrote:
ADulay wrote:

Justaguy,

AD

To be fair, and share the guilt, I have to take partial credit for coining that one. Good old MNGT squabble days.
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
ejsg19

Postby Justaguy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:00 pm

ejsg19 wrote:
ex-LT wrote:
ADulay wrote:

Justaguy,

AD

To be fair, and share the guilt, I have to take partial credit for coining that one. Good old MNGT squabble days.

Another example of how you shouldn’t listen to these clowns.
(WWTNSTKBD)
Justaguy

Postby ADulay » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:12 pm

All,

As an update to this thread I have finally gotten in from my annual Sturgis run and submitted my paperwork for the Minnesota license today at the Sheriff’s office in downtown Minneapolis.

The odd thing about all this is that when I showed up for the range/shooting portion of the training format, I had guessed wrong on the time and got there way early. In fact they were just started a class that had maybe 8 others in it. When I explained who I was and why I was there the instructor said I could sit in on the class or just wander around for lunch or something until the range session.

My lady was with me as she was planning on taking the class at a later date and he mentioned that she could sign up right now, get the class and range time done with me and SHE would be completed too.

So she went in cold, sat through the class and did very well on the shooting portion including clearing a malfunction on her own, which we hadn’t practiced too much at home. She did an excellent job shooting with a borrowed 22 (I used my road carry Glock 26) and we both left with a certificate to present downtown today.

I’ll let you know when it shows up in my mailbox.

Thanks to all for the helpful hints to head me in the right direction.

AD
Certified Glock Armorer
NRA Certified Instructor
IDPA - USPSA - ICORE
ADulay

Postby hammAR » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Congratulations............. :toast:
"The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with,” - Bobby Jindal
"“I am the infidel your Imam warned you about.”"
hammAR

Postby macphisto » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:44 pm

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear everything worked out for you.
macphisto

Postby ADulay » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:24 pm

And as promised here's the "final" update on the Minnesota permit application.

It showed up in the mail today at my Florida address.

Submitted the paperwork to the Sheriff's office on Aug 13th. Got it today.

Not bad. Ten days is pretty good turn around time for an initial permit I should think.

Once again I thank all of you who helped with this process along the way. I may even see some of you at an upcoming USPSA/IDPA/ICORE match in the future!

AD

Certified Glock Armorer
NRA Certified Instructor
IDPA - USPSA - ICORE
ADulay

Postby BigDog58 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:02 am

Great news. My wife has to renew hers next month, and I'm curious how long Hennepin County will take.
NRA Range Safety Officer

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain
BigDog58

Postby Rodentman » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:34 am

I take the class several months before the renewal date and turn in the paperwork early within the 90 day window. Thus I won't be w/o the permit even if they take the full 30 days to send it.
What do we want?
Time travel.
When do we want it?
It's irrelevant.
Rodentman

Return to Carry Issues