MN: DPS Announces Updated List of Permits Recognized

Discuss laws, processes, and what rights you have regarding intra/inter-state carry, and how to best use and protect our rights.

MN: DPS Announces Updated List of Permits Recognized

Postby hammAR » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:51 pm

Minnesota DPS Announces Updated List of Out-of-State Handgun Carry Permits Recognized – New Information for Your State Permit

On Tuesday, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety released a list of out-of-state handgun carry permits that are now recognized as valid in Minnesota. This change is a result of NRA-supported legislation passed by the Minnesota Legislature in 2015.

Minnesota now recognizes permits from:

Delaware
Idaho (enhanced permit only)
Illinois
New Jersey
New Mexico
North Dakota (enhanced permit only) - ND Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem has announced that North Dakota will now recognize Minnesota carry permits
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota (enhanced permit only)

This will now allow law-abiding citizens with valid permits to better protect themselves and their families while traveling to Minnesota.

Unfortunately, following a long-delayed review of Minnesota’s permit recognition by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, DPS announced that Minnesota will no longer recognize the following states due to changes in their carry laws over the last several years:

Missouri - Reason Given: Missouri allows 19-year-old military personnel and veterans to obtain a permit. Minnesota law does not allow issuing permits to anyone under 21.

Texas - Reason Given: Texas allows 19-year-old military personnel and veterans to obtain a permit. Minnesota law does not allow issuing permits to anyone under 21.

Wyoming - Reason Given: Wyoming law gives local sheriffs discretion to issue permits to 18 – 21-year-olds. Minnesota law does not allow issuing permits to anyone under 21. In addition, Wyoming law does not require permit holders to demonstrate shooting proficiency. Minnesota law requires training to include shooting proficiency.

Utah - Reason Given: Utah law does not require permit holders to demonstrate shooting proficiency. Minnesota law requires training to include shooting proficiency.

Your NRA-ILA is currently exploring options to resolve these issues and to further expand the list of carry permits from other states that Minnesota recognizes. If you have any questions regarding validity of out-of-state handgun carry permits in Minnesota, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Commissioner’s office can be reached at (651) 201-7160.

Support the Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee
The mission of the Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee is to support Pro-Second Amendment candidates and lawmakers in Minnesota. We also work to pass pro-gun legislation in partnership with the National Rifle Association & the Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance.
"The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with,” - Bobby Jindal
"“I am the infidel your Imam warned you about.”"
hammAR

Re: MN: DPS Announces Updated List of Permits Recognized

Postby BigDog58 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:29 pm

I see we honor Illinois, but from Handgunlaw.us they don't honor ours. :evil:
NRA Range Safety Officer

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain
BigDog58

Postby ejsg19 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:52 pm

Not real enthused about this. Hold Iowa, went through the hassle for Utah. Now neither is valid.

Reciprocity must mean my way or the highway.
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
ejsg19

Postby jgalt » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:00 am

Remember, MN doesn't have reciprocity w/any state - they either recognize a permit or don't, regardless of that state's policy toward MN permit holders.
jgalt

Postby George » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:36 am

Looks to me like Minnesota deliberately refuses to honer states that will honor ours in return. Doesn't surprise me.
I'm still surprised about ND. considering.
George

Postby ejsg19 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:51 pm

jgalt wrote:Remember, MN doesn't have reciprocity w/any state - they either recognize a permit or don't, regardless of that state's policy toward MN permit holders.

Some things maybe shouldn't be left up to states.

Or federal Governments.

Since neither can uphold the governing documents they swore to. Iowa is doing their best to Eff things up. The 2A is written so clearly it hurts. The idea of how to interpret the 2A, is both flawed in it's very principle and also flawed in execution. So here we are.

:angryvillagers:
ejsg19

Postby Rip Van Winkle » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:36 pm

ejsg19 wrote:The 2A is written so clearly it hurts.

Huh? :ponder: :idunno:
The one of the 29 of the 8,000!
48 down, Still need a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Rip Van Winkle

Postby ejsg19 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:53 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
ejsg19 wrote:The 2A is written so clearly it hurts.

Huh? :ponder: :idunno:

Just commenting how it is a mystery to me, that the Second Amendment seems to be very clearly written. Yet when it comes to execution, we have each state weighing in on how they will or will not allow us to exercise that right.

The irony involved in a Constitutional Right and that people think they have power to allow it or not, was what I was aiming at.
ejsg19

Postby Rip Van Winkle » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:09 pm

The wording of the 2A, along with the rest of the BOR and Constitution are only confusing to the progressive, who must pervert it's language in order to justify their unconstitutional expansion of government.
The one of the 29 of the 8,000!
48 down, Still need a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Rip Van Winkle

Postby Justaguy » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:36 am

I read an article that said carry a gun doesn't matter unless you are either a Black Ops Warrior, or are a top graduate of one of the top gun schools.

The permit system here sucks and there are to many people making money raping the 2A to see any changes.
What Would The Navy Seals That Killed Binladen Do
(WWTNSTKBD)
Justaguy

Postby BigDog58 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:51 pm

I was looking into where my MN Carry Permit was accepted? I somehow saw that MN no longer honors WI permits. Does this mean we can no longer carry in WI? All these changes are making it confusing. I have to travel in the next couple of weeks and am just trying to abide by "THEIR" stupid ass rules! I go over to Oldmans place in WI and wonder if I now have to lockup my weapon as I cross the border?

Does anyone know if Handgunlaw.us is accurate and up to date? It was my GO TO when traveling. :facewall: :imlost:

Thanks
NRA Range Safety Officer

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain
BigDog58

Postby jgalt » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:17 am

MN never accepted WI permits as WI does not have a shooting component to their permit training.

WI has not changed their policy re: recognition of MN permits, i.e. MN residents w/a valid MN permit may carry in WI.

To the best of my knowledge, http://www.handgunlaw.us is accurate and I trust it - though remember what you paid for this information... ;)
jgalt

Return to Reciprocity