Becoming a trainer

Discuss training, for basic, intermediate, advanced, and specialization here.

Becoming a trainer

Postby BrewDad » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:50 pm

I had a nice couple hour talk with some friends who were interested in learning some more about guns and gun safety but had never been around them. We were able to go through some basics like the 4 rules as well as how to check different types to make sure they were safe, choosing your firearm, caliber differences etc etc
Anyway, it reminded me that I would really like to get into more formal training like MN PTC classes.

I'm looking for suggestions.

I've had my permit for 9yrs, been through a couple holster classes and been to a few seasons of events in Alexandria. It would be fun to take my teaching degree out of the school and into something I'm passionate about.

Thanks for any input!
BrewDad

Re: Becoming a trainer

Postby jgalt » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:20 am

Are you looking to become a permit instructor? Other classes? Both?

I started Long Shot Training to both teach students myself & as a way to help those who are interested in becoming instructors get started as quickly and easily as possible. I'm just starting to get that second part off the ground now and, no matter what path you end up taking, I'd love to have the opportunity to at least answer questions you might have. And just as important from my perspective - find out what those questions actually are!

Maybe we can each end up helping the other...?

Post more here or pm me if you want to get together in person or by phone.
jgalt

Postby BrewDad » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:38 am

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking to do! Yes, maybe permit instructor, maybe also DNR FAS, I'm not sure what else there is out there. My kids are of the age that doing the DNR FAS would be convenient as heck but when I looked into it earlier this year the teach the teacher classes are few and far between.
I see Don Larson posting his classes, too. I have been thinking about those for years as well.

Long Shot Training is yours? There's lots of info on your site.

I have to learn more about becoming an instructor before I can formulate specific questions, if that makes sense. I remember a thread on Joel's board about "so you want to be an instructor", there was an almost prohibitive amount of stuff in there. Back then I wasn't as interested, either.

Thanks for the reply!
BrewDad

Postby Justaguy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:20 pm

BrewDad wrote: Joel.....

Found the problem.
What Would The Navy Seals That Killed Binladen Do
(WWTNSTKBD)
Justaguy

Postby BrewDad » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:47 pm

Justaguy wrote:

Found the problem.

Right? That was back while he was somewhat lucid. (I actually debated if I was going to mention it or not...)
BrewDad

Postby hammAR » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:10 pm

BrewDad wrote:I have to learn more about becoming an instructor before I can formulate specific questions, if that makes sense.

No that does not make sense - you have enough self professed experience - you are just looking for avoidance excuses.....
BrewDad wrote:I've had my permit for 9yrs, been through a couple holster classes and been to a few seasons of events in Alexandria.

Jgalt, myself, Benny, Don L, Pblark, etc - etc, - et al.....are all available to steer and mentor you from a study-paralyzed-intellectual to a real-world-knowledgeable instructor for P2C-FAS-etc....as well as spellout the legal criteria to achieve each of them......

Meet anyone/two or all for breakfast on a Saturday and get committed to forward motion - none will leave you hanging out there by yourself...............you are not alone nor the first to get to this point!
"The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with,” - Bobby Jindal
"“I am the infidel your Imam warned you about.”"
hammAR

Postby Justaguy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:58 pm

BrewDad wrote:
Justaguy wrote:

Found the problem.

Right? That was back while he was somewhat lucid. (I actually debated if I was going to mention it or not...)

Stick with some of these fine folks here and it will probably be enjoyable for you.

I did not follow through with it, but I looked into it and was close to following through with it years ago. It's as easy or hard as the certifying agency wants to make it. Unless you want to self certify, but that adds a level of bs and some hoops to jump through at the state. Don't quote me on the verbiage. That's going off memory because now days I don't care enough to look it all up.

On the other hand, if you like uptight know it all you could always get certified through one of them. If that's enjoyable to you go that route.
(WWTNSTKBD)
Justaguy

Postby BrewDad » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:17 pm

hammAR wrote:
BrewDad wrote:I have to learn more about becoming an instructor before I can formulate specific questions, if that makes sense.

No that does not make sense - you have enough self professed experience - you are just looking for avoidance excuses.....
BrewDad wrote:I've had my permit for 9yrs, been through a couple holster classes and been to a few seasons of events in Alexandria.

Jgalt, myself, Benny, Don L, Pblark, etc - etc, - et al.....are all available to steer and mentor you from a study-paralyzed-intellectual to a real-world-knowledgeable instructor for P2C-FAS-etc....as well as spellout the legal criteria to achieve each of them......

Meet anyone/two or all for breakfast on a Saturday and get committed to forward motion - none will leave you hanging out there by yourself...............you are not alone nor the first to get to this point!

To simplify: "shit or get off the pot."

:)
Thanks!
BrewDad

Postby hammAR » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:44 pm

Sorry - didn't mean to be so polite............... :goodcoffee:
"The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with,” - Bobby Jindal
hammAR

Postby macphisto » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:01 pm

The US Concealed Carry Association has a really good instructor program. It's probably not the cheapest way to go, but it might be the most direct, yet complete, path to teaching your first class. Michael Martin is their Chief Instructor and the book, PowerPoint, and online training he's developed are top notch in every way. The USCCA is an "approved business organization" with the MN BCA, so as soon as you're certified with them, you're ready to teach.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/instructors

The NRA certifications are also very popular, but you'd then be looking for an organization like MADFI in order to get certified to teach in MN.

http://training.nra.org/instructors/bec ... uctor.aspx
macphisto

Postby Histor » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:12 am

Before becoming a trainer might needs skills and [url]knowledge[/url] :fit:
Histor

Postby Justaguy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:17 am

Histor wrote:Before becoming a trainer might needs skills and [url]knowledge[/url] :fit:

Posting on interwebs forums requires the same.
(WWTNSTKBD)
Justaguy

Postby hammAR » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:55 am

Now - History........ :hammAR:
hammAR

Postby xd ED » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:38 pm

hammAR wrote:Now - History........ :hammAR:

:thankyou: :toast:
xd ED

Postby xd ED » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Becoming a FAS Instructor:

It's a four hour training/ orientation.

Here is the MNDNR Volunteer Training Calendar: