Rangefinder mysteries

Rangefinder mysteries

Postby ejsg19 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:18 am

I finally broke down, admitted my shortcomings, and made my wallet make up for them. I bought a Sig Kilo 2200mr Rangefinder.

Anyway, I'm curious how the angle modified mode in a Rangefinder works, or how to interpret the data it will give me?

Say I have a deer at 200 yards. On a flat, horizontal line, that is 200 yards. Now put that deer on a 5 percent grade below me and the Rangefinder spits out whatever it is going to tell me. Do I then hold right on target at whatever yardage the Rangefinder spits out? Say it says 175 yards or so?

I haven't taken delivery of it yet, just curious what I'm going to find.

I'm about as much of a riflemen as Deputy Fife... but one of these days maybe I'll learn something.
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
ejsg19

Re: Rangefinder mysteries

Postby Rip Van Winkle » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:20 pm

Gravity only effects the path of a bullet over it's horizontal travel. If you're shooting at a target 200yds away, at such an angle where the bullet only travels 100yards horizontally, it will only drop the equivalent of a 100 yard horizontal shot.
The one of the 29 of the 8,000!
48 down, Still need a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Rip Van Winkle

Postby ejsg19 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:06 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Gravity only effects the path of a bullet over it's horizontal travel. If you're shooting at a target 200yds away, at such an angle where the bullet only travels 100yards horizontally, it will only drop the equivalent of a 100 yard horizontal shot.

I see, thank you for clarifying. I think that is what I was asking in a non-concise way.

So, angle modified mode likely says true horizontal distance at any angle of approach. The shooter can then hold/click to that true horizontal distance, assuming all other variables are no effect. Just curious. We are now less limited, but still limited to shotguns and pistol caliber rifles for deer season. I find my .44 mag rifle isn't a big deal to estimate plus or minus 25 yards of 100 yd zero, but much beyond that can make a great big difference. Hoping this will open up potential shot opportunities. My eyeball range estimation is pretty poor.
ejsg19

Postby Rip Van Winkle » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:28 pm

I would guess your rangefinder has some kind of internal level. I'm sure there's an easy formula for figuring the correction per degree off true horizontal, I just don't know it off the top of my head.
The one of the 29 of the 8,000!
48 down, Still need a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Rip Van Winkle

Postby BigDog58 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:53 pm

The Angle portion of your new range finder will give you what is known as a "Shoot To" distance. This automatically adjusts the distance, with the inclination, or declination compensated for you. On Flat ground, it will give you actual distance and will have no adjustment calculated for you. If you are shooting in hilly areas, it tells you the correct actual distance, in relation to bullet flight, and then let's you use the appropriate hold (or click) compensation to make impact on your target.

I suggest you take it out before you try to hunt with it, and practice with it. They can be a bit tricky getting the range on your actual target, if you are using it in areas with lots of obstructions, such as trees, large boulders etc.

Let us know how you like your new range finder, once you get to try it out.
NRA Range Safety Officer

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain
BigDog58

Postby ejsg19 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:58 pm

BigDog58 wrote:The Angle portion of your new range finder will give you what is known as a "Shoot To" distance. This automatically adjusts the distance, with the inclination, or declination compensated for you. On Flat ground, it will give you actual distance and will have no adjustment calculated for you. If you are shooting in hilly areas, it tells you the correct actual distance, in relation to bullet flight, and then let's you use the appropriate hold (or click) compensation to make impact on your target.

I suggest you take it out before you try to hunt with it, and practice with it. They can be a bit tricky getting the range on your actual target, if you are using it in areas with lots of obstructions, such as trees, large boulders etc.

Let us know how you like your new range finder, once you get to try it out.

Thanks and will do. Goodness knows I read about and cross compared them until I couldn't stand it anymore. Supposedly it is more than I'll ever need but not way overboard.
ejsg19

Postby hammAR » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:35 pm

Where do you find inclination or declination that needs to be compensated for in Iowa.......................... :groucho:
"The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with,” - Bobby Jindal
"“I am the infidel your Imam warned you about.”"
hammAR

Postby ejsg19 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:13 am

hammAR wrote:Where do you find inclination or declination that needs to be compensated for in Iowa.......................... :groucho:

The only place deer can live when crops are out. Near rivers, southern Iowa, North East Iowa.

I could see a deer 6 miles out at my house:)
ejsg19

Return to General Weapons Discussions