"PRACTICAL LONG RANGE RIFLE SHOOTING"

"PRACTICAL LONG RANGE RIFLE SHOOTING"

Postby hammAR » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Good general article in three parts.......
PART I: THE RIFLE & GEAR
PART II: OPTICS
PART III: SHOOTING

and this one too: The State of Optics for Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting
(for the guy with the CZ 550 and a thousand questions)
"The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with,” - Bobby Jindal
"“I am the infidel your Imam warned you about.”"
hammAR

Re: "PRACTICAL LONG RANGE RIFLE SHOOTING"

Postby Currahee » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:11 pm

Now who would that be? *cough* :idunno:
Currahee

Postby xd ED » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:45 pm

for the guy with the CZ 550 and a thousand questions

There's a fightin' chance there's more than one of them hereabouts :mrgreen:
….with a few less questions here after previewing the link :toast:
xd ED

Postby BigDog58 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:05 pm

Great reading. I wonder how the scopes compare when it comes to higher powers and the effects of mirage .I shot 1000yd 50 BMG with OldmanFCSA last year and had trouble with mirage at higher powers.
NRA Range Safety Officer

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain
BigDog58

Postby qualcorp » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Good basic stuff, enough to keep me busy for awhile to be sure. I have most everything to get started with the basic setup, rifle with A5 stock detachable mag., Harris bipod, decent scope base scope, sling and laser range finder. Need someone to help me making decent ammo ;)
qualcorp

Postby ejsg19 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 pm

qualcorp wrote:Good basic stuff, enough to keep me busy for awhile to be sure. I have most everything to get started with the basic setup, rifle with A5 stock detachable mag., Harris bipod, decent scope base scope, sling and laser range finder. Need someone to help me making decent ammo ;)

you get to Iowa often? Whatcha drinkin'?

Ok the last question is unnecessary.
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
ejsg19

Postby qualcorp » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:25 am

ejsg19 wrote:
qualcorp wrote:Good basic stuff, enough to keep me busy for awhile to be sure. I have most everything to get started with the basic setup, rifle with A5 stock detachable mag., Harris bipod, decent scope base scope, sling and laser range finder. Need someone to help me making decent ammo ;)

Ha is that an invitation? Last summer I sold a sport bike to a father son team from Iowa, farmer and son. Visiting while I helped strap it down into their pickup bed sounded like a heck of a lifestyle. What all shall I bring? I enjoy a single malt from time to time-not to picky ;)
qualcorp

Postby BigDog58 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:20 am

If you truly want to learn from A-Z there is No Better than OldmanFCSA. He has forgot more about reloading than most of will learn in a lifetime. Everything I know about precision loading came from him. I would highly suggest you visit him to get a good understanding and then we will load them together here at my house and make you Match Grade ammo. I will also have you and help you prepare the brass through loading it, so you will learn and be able to load right along beside me. I will say, you might ger bored, knowing your go get'em personality. There are several times more steps when loading Match Grade ammo, than when we are just slamming rock busting ammo (mostly pistol) together. I have EVERYTHING needed including lots of good .308 brass for your long range gun. I believe you know where I stays :D
Last edited by BigDog58 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Range Safety Officer

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain
BigDog58

Postby ejsg19 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:25 am

qualcorp wrote:
ejsg19 wrote:

Ha is that an invitation? Last summer I sold a sport bike to a father son team from Iowa, farmer and son. Visiting while I helped strap it down into their pickup bed sounded like a heck of a lifestyle. What all shall I bring? I enjoy a single malt from time to time-not to picky ;)

I enjoy showing people a little bit on how to reload. When you get near the metropolis of Jefferson, IA just let me know. We can test at 100 yards but we have to walk/drive about 100 yards to get there... ;)

I'll forewarn though, there are several guys here who I'd steer you to long before myself when it comes down to "who is the better guy to learn the art from." They are also much closer to your home! I won't volunteer anyone, but there are decades of experience available from some of these folks. I understand the basic concepts of reloading, and a few little tricks but I'm sure I don't know anywhere near what they do in terms of long range precision ammo production.

I do well enough to have a great time swatting prairie dogs at 300-400 yds max on my Dillon 550. As for the thread title, I have to wait until I decide on what AR-10 type rifle to acquire before I consider myself as doing "long range" shooting. I'm not a huge DPMS fan but their GII looks nice if they turn out to be good rifles.
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
ejsg19

Postby qualcorp » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:47 am

ejsg19 wrote:I do well enough to have a great time swatting prairie dogs at 300-400 yds max on my Dillon 550. As for the thread title, I have to wait until I decide on what AR-10 type rifle to acquire before I consider myself as doing "long range" shooting. I'm not a huge DPMS fan but their GII looks nice if they turn out to be good rifles.

my long range starter rife is built off REM 700, A5 stock some trigger work and mag. well, I was fortunate to pick up AR10-Armalite match HBar that I've only shoot once. That once spoke volumes. What a great rifle (in my opinion)
qualcorp

Postby qualcorp » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:50 pm

BigDog58 wrote:

If you truly want to learn from A-Z there is No Better than OldmanFCSA. He has forgot more about reloading than most of will learn in a lifetime. Everything I know about precision loading came from him. I would highly suggest you visit him to get a good understanding and then we will load them together here at my house and make you Match Grade ammo. I will also have you and help you prepare the brass through loading it, so you will learn and be able to load right along beside me. I will say, you might ger bored, knowing your go get'em personality. There are several times more steps when loading Match Grade ammo, than when we are just slamming rock busting ammo (mostly pistol) together. I have EVERYTHING needed including lots of good .308 brass for your long range gun. I believe you know where I stays :D

Match brass for my 308 bolt gun...what's this? I'm ready when you are my friend, let's make them up...I'm a good student. Use for bolt gun only no AR10/M1A use blasting ammo for these. I'm excited now just need some + 0 temps. Although I can remember retrieving rifle cases out of the snow
qualcorp

Postby BigDog58 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:37 am

qualcorp wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:

If you truly want to learn from A-Z there is No Better than OldmanFCSA. He has forgot more about reloading than most of will learn in a lifetime. Everything I know about precision loading came from him. I would highly suggest you visit him to get a good understanding and then we will load them together here at my house and make you Match Grade ammo. I will also have you and help you prepare the brass through loading it, so you will learn and be able to load right along beside me. I will say, you might ger bored, knowing your go get'em personality. There are several times more steps when loading Match Grade ammo, than when we are just slamming rock busting ammo (mostly pistol) together. I have EVERYTHING needed including lots of good .308 brass for your long range gun. I believe you know where I stays :D[/quote
Match brass for my 308 bolt gun...what's this? I'm ready when you are my friend, let's make them up...I'm a good student. Use for bolt gun only no AR10/M1A use blasting ammo for these. I'm excited now just need some + 0 temps. Although I can remember retrieving rifle cases out of the snow[/quote

Whenever you are ready, let me know. We'll get started and have it ready for when it gets up to 40, my signal to head out and shoot
NRA Range Safety Officer

BigDog58

Return to Rifles