Oldman's State Arms 50 BMG

Oldman's State Arms 50 BMG

Postby BigDog58 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:29 am

For the last few weeks OldmanFCSA has been working very hard to re-barrel his State Arms 50 BMG. He took a new Feddersen Chrome-Moly barrel and cut the chamber with a Match Reamer to a .554" throat. He head spaced it perfectly and then cut the threads for the Armalite Tank Brake and "clocked" it. We (I'm his go for guy and assistant and student as well). He then made an extension to move the bi-pod forward to improve stability (works great). Then the barrel and extension were blued. We then mounted the action and barrel back in the State Arms Stock and mounted his Leupold Mk 4 (I think memory is foggy this morning, he'll correct if necessary) 6.5-25 x 50 Illuminated Scope.

After it was completely assembled, checked and double checked we took it outside and prepared it for it's first shots. Then he GRACIOUSLY allowed me to fire the first 4 shots through it. These rounds are match ammo with fairly heavy loads and I believe they were 808 gr Lehigh Solid Brass Boreriders .

I did have a little concern when I was sitting at the table and he began to film. He decided to be about 20' away and "hiding" behind his truck. Actually, he was using the tool box in the bed of the truck as a stand for his camera (yeah, that's it, he wasn't really "hiding" :shock: ).

http://youtu.be/xEoi_nJLhow

Our next project is going to me bedding the action and free floating the barrel in a Manners Carbon Graphite Competition Stock.
NRA Range Safety Officer

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain
BigDog58

Re: Oldman's State Arms 50 BMG

Postby Justaguy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:45 pm

:|
What Would The Navy Seals That Killed Binladen Do
(WWTNSTKBD)
Justaguy

Postby OldmanFCSA » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:13 pm

"State Arms New Barrel Fist Shots 3 6 15"

You could learn how to spell, if you are going to post on U-tube.

"FIST SHOTS" = what are they ????
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OldmanFCSA

Osceola, WI
[email protected]
I teach reloading, basics and advanced.
OldmanFCSA

Postby BigDog58 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:17 pm

Damn spell checker went nuts agsin.....or the loose nut behind the keyboard screwed up. I'll see if I's can fix it :shock:
NRA Range Safety Officer

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain
BigDog58

Postby hammAR » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:46 pm

Oldman - you should try a "NUT SHOT" for the padawan before his next post.............. :facepalm:
"The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with,” - Bobby Jindal
"“I am the infidel your Imam warned you about.”"
hammAR

Postby BigDog58 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:41 pm

Ok Smart ASSES :hammAR: I FIXED The Title.... Oldman can quit "Fisting" his rifle :rotf:
NRA Range Safety Officer

BigDog58

Postby Dirtykid » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:49 pm

Very cool guys, Now you need a camera downrange to catch the impact ,
Dirtykid

Postby Deputyhiro » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:50 pm

Graciously let you fire first shots.... Just a nice way of saying "test dummy". :lol:
Deputyhiro

Postby BigDog58 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:55 pm

Deputyhiro wrote:Graciously let you fire first shots.... Just a nice way of saying "test dummy". :lol:

Now that you mention it, he did say something along those lines, but I had my ear protection on and didn't quite catch it. Maybe that's why he was filming from 20+ feet away and standing behind his truck. :?

I'm going too have to watch him more closely from now on :facepalm:
NRA Range Safety Officer

BigDog58

Postby Rodentman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:06 pm

Interesting rifle and video!
What do we want?
Time travel.
When do we want it?
It's irrelevant.
Rodentman

Postby MaryB » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:50 pm

Interesting rifle, looks lightweight but probably isn't!
MaryB

Postby BigDog58 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:35 am

Mary, I believe it currently weighs in at about 46 lbs with the bipod (Oldman told me but it's late and my memory is tired) but I'm sure he'll update more precisely.

We are planning to take it out of it's current stock and bed the action and barrel (possibly free float) in a Manners Carbon Fibre Stock. It will reduce the weight by about 11 lbs (again, memory might be off a bit).

It shoots amazingly easy with medium recoil even with the fairly heavy match ammo I fired in the video. Both this gun (State Arms) and his other 50 Cal (AR-50) have identical chambers that are quite tight. He did a fine job rebarreling both guns. It is a pleasure watching and attempting to learn some of his machinist and gun smithing skills. I know I'm not much help in machining but Oldman tolerates me and teaches this Old Dog as much as I'm capable of absorbing. :shock:
NRA Range Safety Officer

BigDog58

Postby Rodentman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:16 am

Tight chamber and bedding the action? You guys must be a lot younger than I am.
What do we want?
Time travel.
When do we want it?
It's irrelevant.
Rodentman

Postby Packrat » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:22 am

Rodentman wrote:Tight chamber and bedding the action? You guys must be a lot younger than I am.

Na...it's the little blue pill.......
I don't often speak to people that voted for Hillary, but when I do I order large fries.
Packrat

Return to Rifles