Precision .22LR Thread

Precision .22LR Thread

Postby hammAR » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:54 pm

I am starting this thread for those that see and play the challenge of shooting .22LR for precision, practice, or competition.

I shoot .22LR regularly at 200 yds - which for me simulates shooting a .308 over twice as far out! It's not a trajectory problem, it's accuracy.

It's challenging to shoot a .22LR Rimfire all the way out to 200 yards. These slow moving bullets drop like a rock after 100 yards. Yes, there's a lot of correction needed (about 19 minutes from 100 to 200yd settings or the 24 minutes from a 50yd setting), but you'd be surprised at the accuracy possible.

I see it as the .22LR can be an effective substitute for a .308 Win during training. Because the smaller bullet drifts more in the wind, a .22 rimfire shooter will experience roughly the same crosswind effects as if he was shooting a 175gr .308 much further out. So, rimfire work can teach you to dope the wind like a .308, but at less than half the distance and 10% of the price.

I will say this - shooting .22LR long range really helps a person improve on their windage & elevation adjustments in a hurry. Once that elevation is solved it really is just a matter of playing the wind – and shooting long range .22LR is a whole lot of fun!

Some of you out there may even remember this - Know Your Limits (.22 Marksman Challenge) - watch the video!

"The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with,” - Bobby Jindal
"“I am the infidel your Imam warned you about.”"
hammAR

Re: Precision 22 LR Thread

Postby 45usp45 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Looks like fun.
islam was founded by a violent child molester.
45usp45

Re: Precision .22LR Thread

Postby hammAR » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Then watch this one - Multi Distance Know Your Limits Stages

"The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with,” - Bobby Jindal
hammAR

Postby Rip Van Winkle » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:34 am

22's at 200 yards? sounds like fun!

MRC will host a match Oct 10, and Post 435 will have there annual Mini Palma sometime in Feb.

MRC 200 yard Smalbore match program
Attachments
DSCN3115.jpg
DSCN3114.jpg
The one of the 29 of the 8,000!
48 down, Still need a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Rip Van Winkle

Postby 45usp45 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:40 am

Are you required to use iron sights for these events?
islam was founded by a violent child molester.
45usp45

Postby xd ED » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:23 am

According to the program in RVW's link, there are both iron sight matches, and any sight matches, seniors(age?) can use any sight.

Course of Fire: All Matches shot from the prone position, shooters must pull and score targets in the pits.
Match 1: - 200 yards, A – 21 target, 8 sighter shots, 20 shots for record, minutes, metallic sights 28 minutes
Match 2: - 200 yards, A – 21 target, 2 sighter shots, 20 shots for record, minutes, metallic sights 22 minutes
Match 3: - 200 yards, A -- 21 target, 2 sighter shots, 20 shots for record, minutes, any sights 22 minutes.
Match 4: - 200 yards, A – 21 target, 2 sighter shots, 20 shots for record, minutes, any sights 22 minutes.
Match 5: aggregate of Matches 1, 2, 3 & 4.
Re-entry Match: If there is interest we will hold re-entry matches with a $2.00 per
match fee.

Special Conditions: Seniors may use any sight for the entire course of fire.

I don't know what a re-entry match is.

If I weren't out of town that day I think I'd be there.
xd ED

Postby Rip Van Winkle » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:03 pm

As there are no awards in this match, I'm sure if someone wanted to shoot optics in all four matches, there wouldn't be a problem.

A "re-entry" match is basically a do over, if anyone wants to shoot the course over again.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Rip Van Winkle

Postby Erud » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:10 am

That match is 2 tons of fun. My favorite part is being able to hear your bullets hit the target all the way back at the firing line if it's not too windy. I believe that .22 at 200 pretty accurately simulates a .308 shooting 155's at 1k yards, as my scores are very similar on those 2 targets.

XdEd,
Per NRA rules, a shooter officially becomes a senior the calendar year that they turn 60. So if you turn 60 on July 1st of this year, you would be in the Senior class since Jan 1, 2015.

I'd agree with Rip that shooting optics all day would not likely be a problem at this match, it's pretty casual.
Erud

Postby xd ED » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Watching the videos, I thought the same thing about the instant gratification(or not) of those steel targets.
I might acquire/ build one of the KYL steel swingers

I was going to look up the age rule. I turned 63 last month.

I'm not that practised with iron sights, and after recently noticing my right eye getting a bit worse than my left. . .fuzzy/ a little blurry reading at almost any distance...I discovered I am now cross dominant; right handed, left eye dominant.
Makes a scope more tempting.
I'm too old to learn to shoot left handed. From what I've been reading, the biggest effect would be when shotgunning, something I do little to none of @ this time.
There are ways to deal with it; this guy did:

I've been fortunate that up till now I haven't needed glasses- except for the occasional cheaters for maps, small print.
I guess that might change, and I think I'll get some shooting prescriptions made as well for both pistol and rifle.
xd ED

Postby hammAR » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:05 pm

There are a number of other (non-200 yd) .22 matches, competitions, and shoots around too................ :?
hammAR

Postby Rodentman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:44 am

I have a .22LR barrel for this. Would this be a suitable firearm for this competition?

What do we want?
Time travel.
When do we want it?
It's irrelevant.
Rodentman

Postby Erud » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:45 am

Rodentman wrote:I have a .22LR barrel for this. Would this be a suitable firearm for this competition?

Yep, would've been perfect. Don't worry though, the match already happened and none of you guys were there, except for Rip Van Winkle...
Erud

Postby Rip Van Winkle » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:26 am

I got a good picture of Erud shooting his Anschutz too.
Attachments
DSCN3792.jpg
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Rip Van Winkle

Postby Rip Van Winkle » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:47 am

My Kimber took a crap, so I borrowed the Match Director's Anschutz Super Match.
Attachments
DSCN3802.jpg
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Rip Van Winkle

Postby RC&BtWD » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:23 am

I got a good picture of Erud shooting his Anschutz too.

Those both (the Director's too) look like pretty serious setup's, are those some kind of tuners on the muzzle end, and if yes are they different for long range matches? (how far were you shooting?)
The ones i've seen (for 50/50 matches) look sort of like a micrometer on steroids.
Or, is it a tuner & a site? Do you shoot those off a bench too?
Thanks in advance :goodcoffee:
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RC&BtWD

Postby Erud » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:23 pm

The one on my rifle is a bloop tube, basically just an extension to get the front sight out farther. The barrel is 20" long, the tube gets the sight out another 10" or so. Easier to see the front sight at that distance, and also is the correct sight radius to make my rear sight adjust in 1/8 MOA clicks. Longer or shorter sight radius will result in different adjustment values. The thing on the front end of the match director's rifle is just the base that his front sight attaches to. Some people take their sights off for transport and/or storage. There are adjustable barrel tuners that some people use on this type of rifle, but neither of the guns pictured have them. The sights look fancy, but are really just 2 circles that you line up around the target. They are better than the average rifle sights in tracking and repeatability, but the concept is really no different than any other set of sights.

This match was shot at 200 yards, which is pretty far for .22's. Nothing on the rifle is different from shooting normal 50 or 100 yard matches, I just adjust the sights for the distance. I do not shoot mine from a bench at all, but there are people that do. Let me know if you have any other questions...
Erud

Postby RC&BtWD » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:30 am

googled 'bloop tube', and see I have a ton more reading to do :lol:
After finding out this past summer my Wife is really Annie Oakley (who besides being a crack-shot was also a Great American, and just an all around Great human being) come back to life, we've decided (well SHE hasn't - yet) to sign up for a weekly league next year that is more for fun than precision or distance.

The original idea was to set up 2 identical production (or, cheap) rifles.... :lol: Didn't take long to figure out there isn't such a thing when you start working on them.
At this point, everything else aside, barrel harmonics seem to be the most difficult to dial in. EVERYTHING seems to affect that.
In looking up bloop tube, found a comment by a machinist that was interesting, it also had (at least 1) a reference link I haven't read yet, but basically he experimented making one for an old production rifle with good results.
There were SEVERAL interesting comments on that thread, i'll have to go back when more time.

Thank You again for the reply, have lots more 'book-marked' to study, neat chit! :goodcoffee:
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RC&BtWD

Postby Erud » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:49 am

No idea what type of discipline you & your wife are planning to shoot, but just to clarify, a bloop tube's only purpose on a rifle is to move the front sight further away from your eye. It will definitely affect barrel harmonics, but only as a side effect. There are some tubes that also incorporate a tuner (Uptagrafft, Bee Sting, etc), but if you aren't shooting with aperture sights, you might as well just use a regular tuner if you want to tune the barrel. .22's are definitely ammo-sensitive, more so than most people would believe. If you and your rifle are capable of great accuracy, it pays to tune the barrel and/or do ammo testing. I brought the rifle in the picture down to the Lapua Test Center in Phoenix last winter, and had them test about 20 different lots of ammo at 50 and 100 meters before finding the right one. It shoots that ammo very well, but ammo of the same brand/type from a different lot can have very different results. .22's are weird that way. If you find a lot that your rifle likes, buy a ton of it.
Erud

Postby hammAR » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Erud - Thanks for the contributions - it is much appreciated and great to see ya hereabouts!

:toast:
hammAR

Return to Rifles