what sling would you choose?

what sling would you choose?

Postby ejsg19 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:00 pm

I have a beretta 391 synthetic stock that has sling swivel/mounts for a 1" sling already. I am not up on sling terminology but they are not just studs in the stock. They are the flat loops meant to have the sling threaded through.

We party hunt walking through timber that can be fairly thick, and otherwise the sling is primarily just used to fre hands while taking long walks. Last year I got asked to go short notice and had nothing. An old timer had these stupid rainbow pattern suspenders he offered to me and I made a sling out of that... spent the rest of the day catching the obligatory shit for having a rainbow sling on my shotgun. Next day bought 5' of black nylon webbing, tied a couple knots that would make a sailor cry and punch me in the face.

So anyway, that sucked. I like my Montana sling a lot and am considering a second. What would you guys opt for in this scenario? Just curious. I am capable of buying a sling, but we need a personal preference gun thread. My preference is leather, and 1 1/4 width, but I won't spend money on new mounts for the small difference.
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
ejsg19

Re: what sling would you choose?

Postby hammAR » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:43 pm

"The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with,” - Bobby Jindal
"“I am the infidel your Imam warned you about.”"
hammAR

Postby ejsg19 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:31 am

Pretty nice looking. Wonder if those belt buckles would snag or let loose in the woods or not.
ejsg19

Postby Don » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:48 pm

Here, use this, between them both there aint much you cant make work. Duct tape and paracord

I miss the days when computers were difficult for stupid people to operate.
Don

Postby ejsg19 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:21 pm

Don wrote:Here, use this, between them both there aint much you cant make work. Duct tape and paracord

Yep 1/8" dia. Cord feels awesome on your shoulder after 5 miles :?

Personally I liked the sling you made out of my vetrap and paracord a couple years ago at deer camp.
ejsg19

Postby Norsesmithy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:39 pm

ejsg19 wrote:Yep 1/8" dia. Cord feels awesome on your shoulder after 5 miles :?

So make a sling out of the same braid pattern they use to make single strand paracord belts.

Youtube is full of videos on doing things just like that.

Anyways, I like my Vtac rapid adjustment padded sling on my carbine and full size ARs, I think one would do yeoman duty on a shotgun too. Adjust it so it's right where you want it for shooting at full length, and it's got a slider to let you rapidly cinch it up tight for when you want the gun to be hands free. It's 40 bucks or so.
"There's always free cheddar in a mousetrap, baby,"
-Tom Waits
Norsesmithy

what sling would you choose

Postby HenryThare » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:39 am

Look up the parts you have in it, plus the price of the gun, grab a calculator and alakazaam alakazoo There you go.
HenryThare

Return to Shotguns