2018 Deer hunting season

Discussions about what it says.

2018 Deer hunting season

Postby RC&BtWD » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Dear Outdoors Enthusiasts:

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources would like to ask for your help addressing a serious issue facing our state’s whitetail deer.

As you may be aware, Chronic Wasting Disease, a fatal neurological illness that affects deer, elk, moose, reindeer, and caribou, has been found in wild deer in southeast Minnesota, and in some captive cervid farms in several parts of the state. CWD could pose serious consequences for Minnesota’s deer population and for deer hunting if we don’t work together to proactively manage it.

DNR is working aggressively to limit the spread of CWD and minimize its impacts on Minnesota’s deer population. Having hunters submit samples from deer harvested within select areas for CWD testing is a critical component of our management strategy. This year, we are requiring hunters in 16 Deer Permit Areas to bring deer harvested during the opening weekend of both “A” and “B” firearms seasons to one of 35 DNR sampling stations for removal of lymph nodes that can be submitted for CWD testing. Additionally, hunters harvesting a deer by archery and muzzleloader during those seasons in DPA 603 must submit a head from any adult deer they take at one of five “head boxes” in the area.

We’re hoping that you would be willing to help us spread the word about these important requirements by visting the website link below. Please also feel free to forward or post to any social media venues you may have access to. More information, including the locations of sampling stations, can be found in the 2018 Minnesota Hunting & Trapping Regulations booklet, as well as at http://www.mndnr.gov/cwd.

Thanks for your help maintaining healthy wildlife populations in Minnesota, along with our great outdoors traditions.

Have a Great Hunt!
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RC&BtWD

Return to Hunting and Fishing