Suppressors: do you have one?

Any reference material regarding firearms NFA, TRUSTS, Silencers, SBR, general information, directions or videos that will be informational and help others.

Suppressors: do you have one?

Postby ejsg19 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Iowa just passed their legalize suppressor bill through the house and senate, expected to be signed into law by the governor this week.

Has me thinking very casually about them. Lots of states allow them, but I personally know nobody that even owns one. Do any of you? What do you use it for?

I can think of some uses, hunting especially, but obviously none that I can think of make this an urgent need.
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
ejsg19

Re: Suppressors: do you have one?

Postby hammAR » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:50 am

Have had several for a number of years (rifle only-no pistol). Shooting in the "tubes" at FLSC it is beneficial, otherwise I can do with or without at most local ranges............Below is one of the better write-ups I have seen. There is a lot of misinformation regarding suppressors. I use them for yote hunting and on several rifles when shooting long range out west without any effect on accuracy. Not absolutely sure, but I do not believe that they are allowed in F-class???????

Advantages-reduce hearing loss when shooting, helps conceal location of the shooter, reduces recoil.

Disadvantages-added cost, added weight, barrel can heat up faster during rapid fire, if mounted out of alignment with the bore can damage the rifle and injure the shooter, changes point of impact of the rifle. Gas operated rifles like the AR-15 spit out more gas and unburned powder from the ejection port when equipped with a silencer.

A silencer will not reduce velocity of the bullet unless the barrel is ported to relieve gas pressure into the back of the silencer, or the silencer is equipped with rubber wipes that trap the gunpowder gas and touch the bullets as they pass through. Most modern silencers are made with metal baffles that divert the flow of the gunpowder gases and reduce the noise. The baffles do not contact the bullet or upset it's flight path. Some silencers actually provide a very slight boost in velocity.

Silencers work best on firearms with subsonic ammo. But they also work well with full power ammo such as the 7.62 nato. A good silencer will lower muzzle blast noise by 20-30 decibels (100-1000 times) but the rifle may still be loud enough to cause some hearing loss.
"The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with,” - Bobby Jindal
"“I am the infidel your Imam warned you about.”"
hammAR

Postby xd ED » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:04 am

Don't own any.

I was an RO at a suppressor demo shoot last fall;

There were numerous muffled 30 cal rifles, ARs, 12 ga, defensive handguns, and rimfire present.

Gee-Whiz factor is high:

muffled, the 12 ga sounds like an AR, the AR sounded like a nail gun, 30-something subsonics sounded like a car door closing, handguns weren't quite the TV phtt sounds, but easy on the ears, and the 22- a misfire- had to watch for the impact to tell it fired, given the general commotion nearby.

I believe the NRA competition rules prohibit silencers,(unfair disadvantage to those in the remaining prohibited states) but they are used in European competitions.

Maybe for a home defense weapon a suppressed hand gun, or Integrated SBR would be interesting, but not on my list currently.
xd ED

Postby Justaguy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:13 am

I was all ready to buy one to get in before the finger print requirement but didn't. After the suppressor, barrel, and stamp. It's a $1000-1200 toy that isn't really needed. I may still do it, because they do get all the chicks. But so does a lot of other shit I already have.

If anyone is looking for a fast trust this place delivers. $99 in two business days.

https://nfalawyers.com/
What Would The Navy Seals That Killed Binladen Do
(WWTNSTKBD)
Justaguy

Postby macphisto » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:00 pm

I have plans to aquire a .30 cal can and possibly a .22 LR can later on. The .30 cal would be fun for shooting subsonic .300 BLK very quietly, but what really makes it a justifiable purchase in my mind, not just a range toy, would be its primary purpose sitting on my HD AR. If, God forbid, I ever had to use it for real I'd prefer to not end up wearing hearing aids for the rest of my life just because some idiot chose the wrong house. I have electronic muffs sitting by the gun now, but who knows if there'd be time...better to have the muffler built in and not have to think about it.

A local option if going the trust route: Ben Rust is a local attorney and Oakdale Gun Club member who's done a lot of NFA trusts for folks since the new law passed.

http://minnesotaguntrustlawyer.com
macphisto

Postby ejsg19 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:02 pm

I'd put one an an AR first probably. Although if Silencerco assures me their Salvo would not hurt accuracy on my rifled 12 ga barrel using sabots... that would be tempting for deer season.

Doubt it'd make deer stand still after first shot but who knows.

Might help me hear my grandkids someday.
ejsg19

Postby Justaguy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:38 pm

macphisto wrote:I have plans to aquire a .30 cal can and possibly a .22 LR can later on. The .30 cal would be fun for shooting subsonic .300 BLK very quietly, but what really makes it a justifiable purchase in my mind, not just a range toy, would be its primary purpose sitting on my HD AR. If, God forbid, I ever had to use it for real I'd prefer to not end up wearing hearing aids for the rest of my life just because some idiot chose the wrong house. I have electronic muffs sitting by the gun now, but who knows if there'd be time...better to have the muffler built in and not have to think about it.

A local option if going the trust route: Ben Rust is a local attorney and Oakdale Gun Club member who's done a lot of NFA trusts for folks since the new law passed.

http://minnesotaguntrustlawyer.com

You need to read your interwebs. You can't even use reloads in your weapon because of the legal ramifications. But You think using a suppressor is a good idea? Stick around and do some more reading.

I just sleep with Walker Game Ears in. Which is what I would recommend to you folks lying to yourself and saying your hearing is why you would buy a suppressor. Way cheaper. And I don't remember exactly or care enough to look it up but even suppressed guns are probably pushing the limits to still wear hearing protection. Especially for folks worried about hearing loss from the small chance of HD shooting and hunting.
(WWTNSTKBD)
Justaguy

Postby macphisto » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:09 pm

Lots of good information in that post. No doubt you wouldn't want to shoot a suppressed AR indoors without tier 1 earpro, but I'd prefer it over unsuppressed.
macphisto

Postby ejsg19 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:10 am

I am now re-evaluating my life choices. :)
ejsg19

Postby Rip Van Winkle » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:19 am

What'd he say? I couldn't hear. :lol:
The one of the 29 of the 8,000!
48 down, Still need a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Rip Van Winkle

Postby larryflew » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:20 am

In 22 it's louder than say a bunny fart but according to my wife not louder than some of mine. Silencerco Sparrow on CZ Kadet, 10/22 and Volguartsen 17HMR. The 17 is still loud due to 2700 fps crack of breaking the sound barrier. Not had much play time due to thing going on and weather.
larryflew

Postby Justaguy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:16 pm

I'm here too help.

I'm a huge fan of hearing protection...... Now.
(WWTNSTKBD)
Justaguy

Postby jgalt » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:53 am

You'll need to type louder - I can't hear a damned thing you're saying...
jgalt

Postby hammAR » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:37 am

With all of my hearing and sight issues ....
I finally got my new and appropriately marked suppressor installed.................

1315800228_3579223_.jpg
1315800228_3579223_.jpg (70.51 KiB) Viewed 15661 times
"The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with,” - Bobby Jindal
"“I am the infidel your Imam warned you about.”"
hammAR

Postby Justaguy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:22 pm

jgalt wrote:You'll need to type louder - I can't hear a damned thing you're saying...

Back in the day when I didn't used to care about what people thought about me on the interwebs, I used type in all caps. This was AOL chat room days.

Did you know a lot of people don't like that?
(WWTNSTKBD)
Justaguy

Postby Chunkychuck » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:12 am

Justaguy wrote:
jgalt wrote:You'll need to type louder - I can't hear a damned thing you're saying...

Back in the day when I didn't used to care about what people thought about me on the interwebs, I used type in all caps. This was AOL chat room days.

Did you know a lot of people don't like that?

WHAT? THEY DON'T LIKE THIS. :D
Chunkychuck

Return to NFA, Trusts, Silencers, and SBR